Following the renewal of the Memorandum of Understanding between the China Scholarship Council (CSC) and UCD on Monday the 31st October 2011 by UCD President Dr Hugh Brady and Director-General of CSC Ms. Liu Jinghui, I would like announce the launch of the UCD CSC Scholarship Scheme 2012.
In 2007, UCD and CSC, which is affiliated with the Ministry of Education of China, established a unique scholarship scheme to assist Chinese students to pursue graduate research, in UCD. The scheme allows Chinese students to apply for a research visit to UCD for a period of 6 - 24 months as part of their doctoral education or a 4 year, funded, full time UCD PhD degree programme in UCD.
The scheme aims to attract some of the very best students from China to UCD and to promote UCD within China as an attractive destination for graduate research programmes.
Securing a UCD CSC Scholarship is a two stage process. Step 1: The student applies to UCD and upon approval is given an offer to carry out their doctoral programme under the supervision of a UCD supervisor. Step 2: The student uses the UCD offer letter to apply to the CSC in China. Only when the student has been approved in both jurisdictions is the scholarship awarded.
The successful students under the UCD-CSC scheme will have their tuition fees paid by UCD and the CSC will cover the students living expenses and airfares.
Guidelines for the applicants can be found at http://www.ucd.ie/
The scheme works best if the potential CSC students can link up with appropriate potential UCD Supervisors who are willing to support the application in the first instance, and supervise the student if the application is successful.
If you are approached to be a supervisor by a potential PhD student from China we would ask that you advise them of the following:
- Applications to this scholarship programme must be made via the online application system www.ucd.ie/apply. The Application type is Scholarship Application-China
- The deadline for the submission of applications is the 27th January 2012.
- Only those applications approved by the UCD Assessment Committee for CSC Scholarships in February 2012 are eligible to progress to the second stage and be considered by the CSC for funding.
- English Language Requirements are :
- For the internet based TOEFL (iTB), a minimum score of 100 is required.
- For the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) an average score of 6.5 over all components is required
- Applications that are late or incomplete will automatically be disqualified.
Professor Julie Berndsen
Dean of Graduate Studies