Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Irish Hip-Hop Goes Viral

Its interesting, if occasionally depressing, to be living in Ireland at present. Some quite strange things happening. The viral explosion this week of a comedy Irish hip-hop song is the latest one. Think of a cross between 50 Cent and Father Ted. Again, strong language so not for the sensitive. It has the feeling of something various social scientists will be analysing for symbolic information as to a post-crash psychological crisis mentality in Ireland. A couple of US media suggested today that the "horse outside" might be symbolic of the austerity mindset in Ireland (they were joking I think!).



Addendum: A full national debate including senior Irish politician Willie O'Dea on the merits of the video.

2 comments:

Enda Hargaden said...

Reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOAb-sUCm7U

I await the sociology dissertations contrasting the cultural context in both.

Kevin Denny said...

According to Willie O'Dea “I can laugh at myself. I was remorsefully lampooned by them and I didn’t ring you. They portray me selling hash and swearing on my tash that it’s decent hash,” he said.
I wonder does he mean remorselessly?