1. Make student financial support available to cover all tuition and a modest cost of living.
2. Allow graduates to repay according to earnings with protection for poorer graduates.
3. Call HEFCE teaching grants “scholarships” and make students aware of their value.
4. Cap the level of funded fees plus HEFCE grant at the current level.
5. Allow universities to charge deferred fees.
- When they are paid the money goes to the student’s university not to the state. These
- fees have no fiscal implications.
- Bring some of the cash flow from deferred fees forward by working with a bank.
- Providing more realistic cost of living support for all students.
- Removing means-tested university bursaries for cost of living expenses.
- Removing means-tested grants to students provided by the state.