Tuesday, May 11, 2010

BizCamp Talk

My talk on social science, business and economic recovery is available here. It drags a little at the start as it took me a while to get going to be honest. But the discussion with the audience, mostly small business owners, was really interesting and lasted a lot longer than initially anticipated. It is probably worth listening to in order to understand how this audience reacts to ideas from behavioural policy. The basic point of the talk is to encourage a move toward experimentation in economic policy, with a particular focus on interdisciplinary policy design. It draws heavily from the experimental work of Thaler, Laibson, Chetty, Karlan and others as well as the wider behavioural economics literature. I attempt to map the recent major developments in behavioural economics on to the modern Irish policy space. I'm not sure how successfully I did this but I think I did start a good debate.

1 comment:

Liam Delaney said...

Not for the first time I stated that Kahneman won the prize in 2000 but was actually 2002 along with Vernon Smith!