Could always be better.
I don't find the Dr., dr., jokes very funny either, but their traditional popularity is difficult to contend with..
Here's the latest one :
What does this policy achieve?
(besides insulting everyone with the slightest intelligence)
The poorest 35% of the population already visit the GP for free in Ireland. The remaining 65% are able to claim tax relief on all their GP expenses.
What is behind this idea? I'm not aware of any evidence to suggest that it might improve health. In fact there is much more evidence to suggest that it will exacerbate problems in health care; for one, it amounts to "over-insurance" which is one of the main drivers of excessive medical inflation. I do expect there to be something more to this plan than the slogan, but at any rate, it seems like more of the unfortunate "here you go, vote for me"style of politics that we know served us poorly in the past. By applying the strategy to healthcare they are totally undermining their political credibility. Why don't they just be honest about it and hand out fifties - it would be cheaper and wouldn't lengthen queues and shorten examination times at the GP's clinic.
One obvious place to start is with the recommendations of the recent Competition Authority Report about GP practices.